The Godman Shoe Co. was established in 1881 by H.C. Godman. They constructed this building in 1914 and were the first to occupy 14 Gallagher Ave with their own Riley Shoe Co. A modern and well equipped factory for the time, it was capable of manufacturing 3,000 pairs of shoes a day. Over the years the building continued to grow to meet the needs of the fast growing shoe industry. This unselfish company shared its wealth with those less fortunate, providing food, baths and even music lessons.
Amanda Bent Bolt, a supplier to the automotive, lawn and garden, aftermarket and u bolt industries, occupied the building from 1978 to 1986.
The Columbus Washboard Co., in 1999 moved into this building full of history.