News RSS

The Factory

The Godman Shoe Co. was established in 1881 by H.C. Godman. They constructed this building in 1914 and were the first to occupy 14 Gallagher Ave with their own Riley Shoe Co.  A modern and well equipped factory for the time, it was capable of  manufacturing 3,000 pairs of shoes a day. Over the years the building continued to grow to meet the needs of the fast growing shoe industry.  This unselfish company shared its wealth with those less fortunate, providing food, baths and even music lessons. Amanda Bent Bolt, a supplier to the automotive, lawn and garden, aftermarket and u bolt industries, occupied the building from 1978 to 1986.   The Columbus Washboard Co., in 1999 moved into this...

Continue reading →

Columbus Washboard Co Recognized

In celebration of Business Appreciation Week, James Martin (3rd from left) received the Golden Oak Award on behalf of the Columbus Washboard Co.  The Golden Oak is easily identified in the community, it is a 600+ year old Oak tree in the Old Logan Cemetery.  Local artist, Dave Brimner of Brimner Insurance Agency has made a drawing of the tree for the past three years to be awarded to recipients of the Golden Oak Award.  For more details on this award click here.

Continue reading →

Back to the top